24 July 2010

daba-daba

What a way to start the morning.

I woke up due to the (lo)commotion outside the street. When I looked over the window, people were running and shouting and there was black smoke everywhere. At first I thought it was just my mom's backyard fire gone wild! She usually piles up dry leaves and trash in the backyard then burn them (tigul-it na, indi gd magpati nga indi na pwede gnahimo nya). But no, she was downstairs shouting and asking my niece to find her anti-hypertensive meds. In short, ga sala-sala. My father, in true blue ususero mode, was out in the street asking the what/where/why of the commotion.

I, on the other hand, am frantically trying to find the contact number for the police/fire station. FAIL! I discovered 166 does not work. It's supposed to be the local emergency hotline. Next, I tried Lapaz PD but the line was busy. The telephone directory cover where the emergency numbers are listed was torn. *shrug* I'm sure one of the neighbors have called the fire department by now. *cue fire alarm*

Going back to my mom. If she had the power to be in two places at once, she would have used that power earlier. One to find her meds and the other gathering her important documents, jewelries and maybe the oven and refrigerator, too. But since she needed a little help, I found her meds IN HER BAG, calmed her down a bit, and almost tripped on the pile of folders/envelopes on the floor. At least she achieved one of her goals hehe

Anyhoo, the fire was two houses away from us. The usual faulty electrical wiring was the culprit. The fire was contained after about 30 minutes.

The upside to all these was when I saw two chinoy volunteer firemen park beside our house and gear up in their uniform. HOT! I'm one of those women who find men in uniform sexy ;p

So after all the hoolala, I'm trying to find the emergency numbers that actually work, save them in my phone and thanking God (and the firemen) for our safety.

Update:

117 is the current 3-digit hotline for criminal reports and local government agencies in Iloilo City. It's working, I tried.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Omigash Ley! This happened in July pa gali? Wow, I'm glad you guys are safe. Now's a good time to make sure the household is prepared for a fire. All the documents should be in one place na hapos habluton, fire station numbers memorized.. etc etc..!